Search This Blog

Saturday 18 December 2010

The Fighting Temeraire, a Seawhite project

Turner's Fighting Temeraire
Where am I in this?
The Battle of Trefalgar could be a distraction
The subsequent propoganda: Sir Henry Newbolt
The brutality
Our family connection to The Redoutable with Captain Lucas.
Or is this a metephor for the end of an empire, an epiphany, with the decay, the soot, the pollution.
The feel of this: rotting wood, rust.
The smell of this: coal, tar and oil, the sea.
The sound of this: lapping water, creaking wood.

Personal interest
Surfaces, peeling paint, rusting metal, twisted, sharp and the cycle of going back into the earth.
The planet is mainly iron and is (as we are) the product of stars.
Could the car be my personal metephor for epiphany, decay?
I have some photos of Cars in a Wood.

How to procede.
photography, mixed media, callography, mixed media, impasto paint, this blog.

1 comment:

  1. A good list
    just been at your flickr site
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jvevers/5128266415/in/set-72157625148165717/
    my comment
    I think this re-representation is inspired, the volumes are spot on. other pics here with sun and muslin go too far for me. in terms of a sculptural idea in relationships of form I see something beginning here

    ReplyDelete